A Quadrophenic Essay (was "Quadrophenia and pete)

Sroundtable@aol.com wrote:

  Quad has been in my car stereo for the last few weeks, and have come
to a
  conclusion:  this is the most amazing accomplishment in the rock genre
of all
  time.  The complexity of the arrangements and the musical skill shown
boggles
  the mind.

  Pete's voice, guitar, piano, synth, and of course, the concept itself
is
  beyond description.  I can't get tired of quad no matter how much i
play it.
  Pete Townshend, IMHO, is the most talented rock musician of all time.
No
  other artist has the full package of skill (piano, guitar, bass,
synth,
  banjo, and prob any other instrument), vocal ability- downright
beautiful,
  and songwriting/musical arrangement.  Quad is my evidence.

  ========================

While Mr. McCabe is truly *the* thorn in my side, the *pain* in
my A$$  ;-)  as it were, internet wise, I can only agree with his
remarks, especially those that I have edited and included
here within. While his is a new revelation, mine is some
29 years in duration, because I have felt this way since
my first spin of the finest two record, gatefold cover,
*Rock* album ever produced and recorded, from Rock's
infancy, to this very day..................."Quadrophenia."

"Quadrophenia's" glory, it timelessness, its majesty and perfection
are a tribute to its difficult and problem ridden construction.

Let me expand, and offer my thoughts:

While Pete and TheWho->'s accomplishments on "Quadrophenia"
(I respect this album so much I NEVER abbreviate it) are without
parallel in the *Rock* genre, without peer, excelling and exceeding
everything that preceded it, or has followed, it in its depth and
sophistication, I suppose it is rather mundane and pedestrian when
compared to the classics of serious music written by the true
Master Composers.

However.......

Mr. Townshend has, unquestionably, risen to the top of Rock's
composers by incorporating thematic songs, that are stand alone
compositions, four in total, that not only (as is oft used in classical
music) interplay, interweave, and interlock when played over,
within, and under each other, but are sensitively composed to musically
represent the four distinct personalities of the main character,
which are also representative of the personalities of the four
musicians who perform the music. A novel idea! One of a kind in my
limited experience, but bordering on true genius, because, factually,
these *thematic musical personalities* truly paint the actual real life
personalities of the band, the members of TheWho->, almost
autobiographical in scope and context.

These *themes,* which comprise the basic structure of the instrumental
opus, "Quadrophenia," near the beginning of the work, and later in a
more embellished and complex rendering of the same song, entitled
"TheRock," are the life's blood of the album. Additionally,  these four
distinct themes are used as individual songs defining the "Quadrophenic"

nature of the main character's psyche, and his resulting decline toward
suicide. The themes are surrounded with complimentary and supporting
pieces, completing the whole conceptualisation.

Lyrically vital and fresh, the story focuses of the plight of a young
man who feels that he has virtually lost everything, virtually been let
down
by those he loves and should be loved by. He's lost his job, feels he's
lost his "bird" to another "ticket," crashed his precious G.S. scooter,
and in a drug and alcohol fueled frenzy, puts himself on the precipice
of choosing life or death, not knowing which he will choose. In the end,

the listener is left without a definitive answer to "Jimmy's" plight,
but
put in the position to choose his or her own ending, whether to swim
to shore and face life's hardships, or to drown (in cold water!).

For those of us familiar with the style and musicianship of TheWho->
and it's individual members, this album was a step forward. Each and
every one of them broke new territory in the breadth and depth of
their playing, both as individual musicians and as an ensemble.
I'll leave that for others, or myself, to analyse at another time, in
another essay on the greatest Rock Album every produced.

Special attention must be paid to the incredible performances of the
band's main vocalist, Roger Daltrey, whose vocal abilities were
utilised to their fullest, covering the most subtle and sublime to the
most
vicious, agressive and raw ever recorded within a true "musical and
melodic" context. I know a man, (me), who, in the 1970's, called
Roger Daltrey "the finest rock vocalist to ever live." Every time I
listen to "Quadrophenia" I know he (I) was right. Roger's interpretation

of the personalities, musically and emotionally, of Jimmy, the albums
main character, is an execution of perfection.

Mr. Townshend, the master craftsman of the "concept album,"
surpassed even his own prior accomplishments with "Tommy,"
the first so-called "Rock Opera," with "Quadrophenia" and it's
concept, delivery, complexities, and execution that still stand today
as Rock Music's finest moment.

"Thank our Gracious Lord That's Over.
(Also for rain, sea and much summer thunder.)"  ~PDBT

Lew Campbell ~ "AnEnglishBoy!"