RE: pete in ICE, and jumping

>From: "Scott Schrade" <schrade@akrobiz.com>
>Subject: Re: pete in ICE
>
>This may have some truth to it, however, the fact remains that he *did*
write the
>majority of the songs on those last two studio Who albums, whatever frame
of
>mind he was in.

Yes, but wasn't the writing of these albums also the result of a remaining
contract requirement?

>And if he went about it in a half-assed manner because he felt his solo
writing
>should've been given priority then that's even more disappointing than just
not
>being able to come up with a batch of good Who songs.

That's always been my take.
Solo career came first at that point.
He was saying "Can you see the REaaal me?"

>Maybe Pete's above statement should read - "I had more or less stopped
writ-
>ing *good* songs for The Who when I began my solo career."

I always looked at it like he just wrote songs, and used his best for is
solo albums.
The rest were given to The Who like "let's see if Roger can swallow
*this*??"

>Pete should've written:  "It's the song not the singer that makes the music
>move along."  Of course he needed the rhyme, so he flipped it thereby
making
>the statement ironic & sarcastic.  (Let me have my theory, please.)

I've *never* understood this line.  Was this Pete giving this line to Roger
like saying "the stupid git will sing this will all his might, as if it's
true" ?
Kind of a sarcastic boost to Rogers ego?
Or, was this Pete complaining about the pressures of having to come up with
good material.
Seems like a Who-feud being acted out in public (via the music).

>From: WMDSnyder@aol.com
>Subject: Re: pete in ICE
>
>YBYB is a song that got better with a drummer pushing John and Pete to
>another level. I do NOT like this song but Zak's playing on it has made it
>listenable song in concert.

Despite the quirky lyrics, I've always like this song (good to hear Pete
shares my feelings ;), but Zak really has taken this song to the next level.
It actually rocks now!

>From: "L. Bird" <pkeets@hotmail.com>
>Subject: Re: Pete's Amazing Jumping
>
>Then why didn't Roger jump, as well?

Hey, Roger has his little "locomotive" action, and also leg kicks from time
to time.
I think it's a product of having to stay different from Pete.
Couldn't let Pete thinking that his jumps were a good thing or anything.
;-)

Kevin in VT