Re: pete in ICE

>No, the complete blame for the failure of FD and IH can't be laid at
>Kenny's feet - but, he didn't anything to help make them better. He
>provided no spark, no energy which might have helped some of the songs. I
>find Kenny to be boring drummer with the only exceptions being those first
>few concerts as a group - but once he "settled in" he seemed to sit back
>and watch Pete.

Boring is right.  It's possible that's what Pete wanted after years of
trying to deal with Moon, culminating in the trauma of his death, but still
Kenney was a little too far into the dependable time-keeper range.  I'm
reminded of Geoff Whitehorn's comment about only starting to understand QUAD
by the end of the tour.  Is it likely Kenney never quite understood what The
Who was about?

>It's a subtle difference, but The Who needs energy or at least something
>more than keeping time like Simon did to really work. (And I know there are
>real Simon-haters out there, but pls, let's not get into that.)

I thought Simon did very well.  He's accomplished and flexible enough to
handle the old material and the new both, and I thought he gave the band an
authentic Nineties sound.  Zak suits The Who better, though.  The way he
tunes his drums and the way he interprets the songs sound more like the old
Who.

>Faces albums. The only song that Kenny is perfectly suited for is
>"Emminence Front" - not a classic Who sound, but a "cool number", as Pete
>once described it.

Jazz.  This is a swing beat.

>YBYB is a song that got better with a drummer pushing John and Pete to
>another level. I do NOT like this song but Zak's playing on it has made it
>a listenable song in concert. I'd love to hear him play "Cry If You Want",
>"I've Known No War", "How Can You Do It Alone", "It's Hard" and "Another
>Tricky Day". Those songs were better live than on the album and they would
>ALL benefit from a high-energy drummer.

Do you suppose Zak could turn any of these into a hit?  It'd be interesting
to hear, anyhow.

:)
keets