Re: pete in ICE

> No, the complete blame for the failure of FD and IH can't be laid at Kenny's
> feet - but, he didn't do anything to help make them better.

There may be several reasons for this:

1. He didn't want to try & "imitate" Moon with a bunch of flash playing.
2. He was scared.  It was a big gig for him.  The Who were on top of
    the Rock world in 1979.  He probably thought it better to underplay
    rather than overplay the songs.  And....
3. I truly believed, to make Captain Pete happy, he kept his approach &
    style similar to Pete's demos.  And we all know how Pete plays the
    drums on his demos: adequate but very basic.

> I find Kenny to be boring drummer with the only exceptions being those
> first few concerts as a group

I don't agree with that.  At the Rockpalast show in 1981, he was all over
the place.  Very exciting drumming.

> but once he "settled in" he seemed to sit back and watch Pete.

More so on the '82 tour when he was trying to kick the booze.

> It's a subtle difference, but The Who needs energy or at least something
> more than keeping time like Simon did to really work. (And I know there
> are real Simon-haters out there,

(raising my hand)

> but pls, let's not get into that.)

OK.

> A good example of this lack of energy is Kenny's playing on "Sparks" - that
> song is pure cacophony and energy - and Kenny just barely keeps up.

Disagree again.  I've got booter versions of "Sparks" from '79 where the rest
of the band seems to be trying to keep up with Kenny!  Same with "Punk Meets
The Godfather" from that tour.  Kenny had no problem playing fast & energetic.

> YBYB is a song that got better with a drummer pushing John and Pete to
> another level. I do NOT like this song but Zak's playing on it has made it a
> listenable song in concert.

Others are of that opinion also.

> I'd love to hear him play..... "Another Tricky Day".

You should've caught one of the Daltrey Sings Townshend shows.  They did
"Another Tricky Day"....with Zak on drums.  Hopefully, they'll substitute that
for YBYB on the upcoming tour.  But I doubt it.

> Just one man's opinion...

That's what we're here for.

- SCHRADE in Akron