Everyone's Favorite Thread: FD & IH

> I've never really blamed the drumming.

Good.  That's smart.

> FACE DANCES is an experiment in production style that turned out
> inappropriate to The Who.

I agree - the production seems too....light (?) for The Who.  But it's more
than just the production (and drumming style) that's wrong with this album.

> I'm one of those people that has to like the music before the lyrics,

Oh, you're one of *those* people. :-)

> and none of the music on this (until the live bonus tracks) grabs my atten-
> tion.

Yes, the live versions do add some chunkiness & power that the studio
versions lack; but that's because many of the FD studio tracks have limit-
ed guitar because A.) Pete's guitar was mixed low or B.) Pete only played
a lighter sounding guitar track for the cut.  Same with IH.  Then, when you
hear the songs played live, the glorious guitar gets it rightful position in the
forefront.

> Therefore, I can't hear the lyrics at all.

You hear 'em....they just don't engage you, right?.

> I don't think you can blame all this on Pete's solo career, however.

No, but you can blame a lot of it on that.  Until he began writing sucky
songs for his solo albums as well.

> Moon's death took the heart out of the band.

Right, but I still get off on Pete's *demos* to certain Who songs (and non-
Who songs).  And he's the drummer in the majority of those cases!  Talk
about stiff & pedantic!  And the production!  But it's the songs themselves
that hold the beauty.

Pete should've written:  "It's the song not the singer that makes the music
move along."  Of course he needed the rhyme, so he flipped it thereby making
the statement ironic & sarcastic.  (Let me have my theory, please.)

> They may have meant to make a new start, but they didn't know where
> to go.

Agreed.  Atleast Pete lost the vision.  And he was (and is) the captain of the
ship.  Daltrey being his....................first mate.   :-)     OK, sorry.

- SCHRADE in Akron