Re: portsmouth #2

Sroundtable@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 04/20/2002 6:54:53 AM Central Daylight Time,
> TheWho-Digest-Owner@igtc.com writes:
>
> > > The concert sounded great, though.
> >
> > Are you sure? I've heard it wasn't so hot.
> >

> Actually, I was commenting on how good the Who sounded, not the bootleg
> quality.

Actually, I was commenting on how you sounded in your play. Doh!

> Portsmouth #1 was a bad recording- audience blocked an awful lot of
> the sound of the band, plus there is one obnoxious person clapping in rhythm
> on every song when others were not.  Real distant sounding.

I don't have a copy of the show, but from the audience I'd say it was a very
special night & sounded great live. Plus the Pete smash made it extra special.

> Portsmouth #2
> sounds much better- very little interference from crowd.  You get a good
> indication of how "on" the band was that night, and Roger's voice isn't lost
> too badly.

I do have a boot from this show and it's a bit flawed. Good show but not quite as
intense as the night before. Roger comments that the audience wasn't quite as
into it as the prior night. This show was on a Monday night and the audience was
rather subdued compared to the explosive audience on Sunday night. The pubs were
packed by 6 pm on Sun and relatively empty on Monday. The Pub was directly across
the street from the hall, where you could see the band driving in from the pub's
window. I guess it was because many people were working and had to travel to
Portsmouth from London and the audience didn't have proper time to tune up. ;-)

> Watford sounds even better.  Are the acoustics better there than
> Portsmouth?

The sound was pretty good from my vantage point (front row) at both halls. But
I'm not a sound guy & probably a bad judge in these matters. I also have a boot
from this show and it sounds ok but again has clicks & some noise on it. The
banter is very difficult to understand clearly. Too bad as I had Roger & Pete
making a few personal comments to me & was quite funny, at least to me. The 2nd
half of the Watford show was one of the best finishes I've ever heard them do.
Maybe the best WGFA and encore that included SB & YMB. Sidenote: The worst
lighting I've ever seen. Very dark & terrible for taking pix.

magik