RE: The Who Mailing List Digest V9 #116

I think the competition factor was between Who members
only, in this case.

Leandro

> FYI - Glyn Johns produced / engineered only one
Zeppelin album # 1 before
> they were nicked off him by his younger brother, Andy
Johns. My recollection
> of Glyn and recording is that the room would be pretty
much miked. I know he
> once said to me of Keith that he tried to cut down on
Keith's constant rolls
> around the kit and cymbals but didn't always manage
it - personally I highly
> rate Glyn's "sound". Personally, I think the
competition factor was more
> between Andy and Glyn than the Who and Led Zeppelin.
>
> NM
>
> Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2002 10:27:35 +0000
> From: "L. Bird" <pkeets@hotmail.com>
> Subject: Re:Keith's Drum sound
>
> I've been thinking Jon Astley favors Pete's guitar,
and mixes everything
> else down in the reissues.  Moon's drums often sound
like pots and pans,
> though.  Seems like that would be something about the
way they were
> recorded.
>
> keets
>

> >IMO, it's not about recording engineers, it's about
> >competition in the band.I think keith's drums was
mixed
> >down on recordings intentionally, if his drums was not
> >mixed down, he would stolen the scene.Other theory
would
> >be Keith's drum kit was very bigger(harder to catch
the
> >sound) than Bonham's kit.
> >
> >Leandro
> >
> > > The other day I was listening to John Bonham's
drums
> >on Led Zeppelin's II album. I was wondering why his
> >drums sounded so good on the recording. Most of the
> >albums that Keith played on had bad sound until almost
> >the very end when he died. What were they doing
> >differently on those Zep albums that The Who's
recording
> >engineers weren't doing?
> > >
> > > Jeff
>
> Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2002 13:31:30 +0000
> From: "gern blanston" <gernblanston67@hotmail.com>
>
> >Subject: Keith's Drum sound
> >
> >The other day I was listening to John Bonham's drums
on Led Zeppelin's II
> >album. I was wondering why his drums sounded so good
on the recording. Most
> >of the albums that Keith played on had bad sound
until almost the very end
> >when he died. What were they doing differently on
those Zep albums that The
> >Who's recording engineers weren't doing?
> >
> >Jeff
>
> I could be speaking out of my ass here, since I'm no
sound engineer, but I
> always thought that Glyn Johns' style of production
sort of "muddied" the
> sound of the band. Nothing was particularly sharp, and
since he's produced
> some famous Who, maybe that's part of the reason.
Also, the aforementioned
> "competition" factor probably has some significant
weight on this topic.

> - -gern

Quer ter seu prsprio enderego na Internet?
Garanta ja o seu e ainda ganhe cinco e-mails personalizados.
DommniosBOL - http://dominios.bol.com.br