Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2002 10:27:35 +0000
From: "L. Bird" <pkeets@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re:Keith's Drum sound

I've been thinking Jon Astley favors Pete's guitar, and mixes everything
else down in the reissues.  Moon's drums often sound like pots and pans,
though.  Seems like that would be something about the way they were
recorded.

keets

>IMO, it's not about recording engineers, it's about
>competition in the band.I think keith's drums was mixed
>down on recordings intentionally, if his drums was not
>mixed down, he would stolen the scene.Other theory would
>be Keith's drum kit was very bigger(harder to catch the
>sound) than Bonham's kit.
>
>Leandro
>
> > The other day I was listening to John Bonham's drums
>on Led Zeppelin's II album. I was wondering why his
>drums sounded so good on the recording. Most of the
>albums that Keith played on had bad sound until almost
>the very end when he died. What were they doing
>differently on those Zep albums that The Who's recording
>engineers weren't doing?
> >
> > Jeff

>The other day I was listening to John Bonham's drums on Led Zeppelin's II
>album. I was wondering why his drums sounded so good on the recording. Most
>of the albums that Keith played on had bad sound until almost the very end
>when he died. What were they doing differently on those Zep albums that The
>Who's recording engineers weren't doing?
>
>Jeff

I could be speaking out of my ass here, since I'm no sound engineer, but I
always thought that Glyn Johns' style of production sort of "muddied" the
sound of the band. Nothing was particularly sharp, and since he's produced
some famous Who, maybe that's part of the reason. Also, the aforementioned
"competition" factor probably has some significant weight on this topic.

- -gern