Re: The Who Mailing List Digest V9 #115

>Subject: Keith's Drum sound
>
>The other day I was listening to John Bonham's drums on Led Zeppelin's II
>album. I was wondering why his drums sounded so good on the recording. Most
>of the albums that Keith played on had bad sound until almost the very end
>when he died. What were they doing differently on those Zep albums that The
>Who's recording engineers weren't doing?
>
>Jeff

I could be speaking out of my ass here, since I'm no sound engineer, but I
always thought that Glyn Johns' style of production sort of "muddied" the
sound of the band. Nothing was particularly sharp, and since he's produced
some famous Who, maybe that's part of the reason. Also, the aforementioned
"competition" factor probably has some significant weight on this topic.

-gern