Re: The Who Mailing List Digest V9 #106

I'm lookin for some pro-Moon ammo to use when I have them in class again
tomorrow.  Anybody care to help?  Don't get me wrong, I love Zepp, but I
want to argue Moon's case with a fully loaded gun.

>mc

This has got to be one of the classic rock arguments, (along with "Beatles
or Stones?", "Lennon or McCartney?"). I think every high school kid into
rock n roll since 1970 had to have this same argument!

The best thing I could suggest is to get your hands on audio and video
footage of each act, and let the kids listen. For Moon, I think Sparks from
TKAA is absolutely mind-blowing. but also, Bellboy from the Charlton
Athletic field stuff from "Maximum R&B" video is hysterical. Provide some
context on the times in the careers of certain performances (for example, I
think Moon's drumming on Who are you is great, and the film footage of it
from TKAA is pretty damn good. And that was close to his death, at the end
of a short, degenerative life).

...but since you're trying to put this together for tomorrow, I think the
best means of attack is from the creativity and originality area. Bonham
laid down a mean beat, but Moon practially invented rock drums with his
dramatic attacks on Leeds, TKAA, Quad, etc. Technical prowess goes nowhere
in an argument like this, especially since rock music isn't really all that
disciplined. And if anyone tries to argue that for either drummer, pull out
a reference to Gene Krupa or Buddy Rich and shut 'em both up.

-gern