Subject: Re: I got in Pete's LIFEHOUSE DVD yesterday (was Big Country etc.)

In a message dated 04/05/2002 6:55:07 AM Eastern Standard Time,
TheWho-Digest-Owner@igtc.com writes:
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Thu, 04 Apr 2002 07:47:57 -0800
> From: AnEnglishBoy <campbell@fix.net>
> Subject: Re: I got in Pete's LIFEHOUSE DVD yesterday (was Big Country etc.)
>
> L. Bird wrote:
>

> >  Duh.  I guess you're right that it's Sadler's Wells.  The audience seems
> >very subdued, polite applause and all that.  Pete promises in the first
> half
> >that they'll rock out after the intermission.  Did he feel it was a Who
> >audience that wasn't responding well to the early material?
>
> Keets,
>
> IMO, and that of Pete and the audience, again, IMO, it was
> a serious moment, performance &realisation of "Lifehouse"
> that deserved respect and polite listening.
>
> I myself am glad there was an absence of beer drenched,
> cannabis fueled cries of "FUCKIN' *A*" and "TEENAGE
> WASTELAND BRO'" that are so common place, yet, to
> some degree expected and desired at a performance of
> TheWho->.
>
> As far as the "early material" is concerned, it was the less
> familiar and least performed material, making it all the more
> important and vital for me to see/feel/touch and be healed
> by. Honestly, I became somewhat bored with the "Who->'s
> Next" hits toward the end, however necessary and important
> to the "story" they are.
>
> AnEnglishBoy~

100% right.

The atmosphere was great IMHO but very unlike a Who performance.  I think the
audience was VERY excited but under control.

Pete seemed genuinely excited about the event (totally the reverse of his
attitude at RAH this February) but very tense about things going well.  There
were mis-starts on WGFA (or was it BOR) that he blamed on Rabbit and then
realized it was his screwup and apologized and then justified with the
stress.

But he seemed comfortable as the host and being in charge and Sadler's Wells
was a great location.  MUCH more intimate than RAH.

-Tim