Re: I am published...sort of

> This was in interesting response that slid by last week.  Do you suppose
> most musical writers view TOMMY this way?  The generative piece that gave
> everybody their ideas, but still somehow outside the genre.

I guess that's what this guy's saying - even though that line of reasoning doesn't
make a whole lot of sense to me.  I would think if you're going to study the de-
velpoment of a form of art - especially one so limited as the "rock opera", the
pioneering originals should be examined to some extent.

But I guess this guy wanted to explore the after effects & progression of the form
rather than the reasons that brought it about in the first place.  Was QUAD men-
tioned?  If not, it should've been; because, even though an originator of the genre,
Pete, by 1973, was influenced not only by himself (!) & the other originators, but
also by the many opera/concept albums that had come out since.  QUAD was
conceived late enough to be considered reactionary, I think.

- SCHRADE in Akron