No Subject

How rock 'n' roll's rumbles have shaken the earth
Artists visualize the effect of music at CCAC show
James Sullivan, Chronicle Pop Music Critic
...That's the basic idea for "Rock My World: Recent
Art and the Memory of Rock 'n' Roll," a new exhibition
running through May 11 at the San Francisco campus of
California College of Arts and Crafts...
..."I have this belief that there's magic in the
world. You just have to find it," said San Antonio
artist Dario Robleto last week, walking around the
gallery.

His "Your Moonlight Is in Danger of Shining for No
One" is a commemorative drumstick made from glass
produced by melted sand at the site of the first
nuclear test explosion. Dedicated to Keith Moon, late
drummer for the Who, the drumstick is lovingly laid to
rest in a small, coffinlike box.

Like many of the artists in the show, Robleto's work
is inspired by physical and cultural refuse. He calls
the process "the artistry of finding things" and
compares it to sampling, the musical technique in
which an existing sound is appropriated for a new
piece of music...

=====
-Brian in Atlanta
The Who This Month!