Re: "Live at Leeds - Deluxe" Polydor Promo CD <mini> Review

Interesting forward from O&S.  Seems like the compression Mark
identified may have been added by MCA.  For those who haven't bought
the Leeds DE yet, it might be worthwhile to wait for the Polydor
version.

LB

--- RWhiteFang@aol.com wrote:
> A few days before I picked up the USA <MCA> "Leeds", I saw the
> Polydor acetate promo CDr of the same for sale on a UK website.
<snip>
> The CDs arrived 2 nights ago and I began playing them yesterday
morning. *Very* interesting... [For those of you who don't know what an
"acetate CDr" is (besides a clever name that really isn't an acetate at
all), it's basically an "official" CDr--perhaps sort of like a "test
pressing".] Anyway, what I ended up with was a "pleasant" surprise.
While the mastering is consistent with the USA MCA version (as opposed
to simply unmastered), it's *different*. It's as if this was an earlier
generation, with *less* mastering. This version utilizes far less
compression, so the music actually sounds like music [compression is
widely used by radio stations so that the music remains loud as the
signal fades in and out vs having both loud and soft portions of music
as it should be] and seems to have a "notch" less of No-Noise, which
makes the vocals and instruments sound closer to what they were
supposed to sound like before the introduction of the same. If the
mastering wasn't just a snad too bright, this "version" would *almost*
be
good. `;-()

> Of course the question remains, will the officially released Polydor
> CD sound like this CD? Better? Or Worse??? If it does sound the same,
I would recommend it hands down over the USA MCA--but more importantly,
I might consider waiting for the Japanese Polydor release. With their
"value added" extra bass mastering, it *might* just be the right
combination... Stay tuned...

=====
Don't meddle in the affairs of dragons, because you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
http://phone.yahoo.com