Re: Leeds mark 3

> Oh, I agree there's a difference but, again, I don't hear anything
horribly wrong
> on either disc(apart from the obvious vocal overdubs) to warrent the
negative
> attacks I've read elsewhere.

Scott:

I can't say I've read them, so I can't comment on them...however I was sent
part of something Luke P. apparently sent to Pete, and in that he claims he
never liked the remix of LAL in the first place. Which to me is perfect, so
there is a level of perfection in his mind that I dare not
approach...possibly because I don't need to. LAL sounds great, as does AJ/S.
But the rest of TLAL sounds hollow. That is a fact. I like it, it's better
(IMHO) than the bootlegs including LALC, but it could have all sounded as
good as AJ/S and it does not.

> Let me interject here & say that I completely repect your opinion, Mark, &
> any harsh statements that follow are certainly not solely directed at you.
I've
> met you & you seem to be a reasonable fella (for a white boy).

Uh oh. This sounds like it's gonna get bad.

Besides I'm part Cherokee. Let's not forget that.

> compilations.  I know what bad is.  And the new LAL is *not* bad.

I didn't say it was "bad." Just "not great." Very good.

> Now some people believe in Perfection.  That ultimate sound.  I don't.

Let me put it to you another way: don't you think an entire CD which comes
from the same source should all sound the same? Or should some parts sound
better than others?
And anyway, the whole stated idea behind the reissue (remixing rather than
merely remastering) was to bring The Who's music to the level it always
deserved. In most cases, I'd say they succeeded. AQO should have been in
stereo. I made a CD from the stereo German Polydor LP and it sounds better
than what they released. That's not right...all I have is my ears and a
thousand dollar computer to work with, and they have an entire studio with
professionals on staff and everything.

> To say it isn't is a flat out lie.

We agree there. But you know, one can get used to things...and I imagine
Luke has gotten used to LALC. It's his work of Art, you know. Sort of like
my 5 disc live boxed set (Stages)...I think it's brilliant, but others might
think it's just incredibly good. I can live with that, though...I'm big
enough to do that...

> vocal overdubs especially.  Am I bitter?  No.  Do I call for the ousting
of Jon
> Astley?  No.  Do I start inventing silly notions that because the sound
quality
> isn't perfect it must be because Pete is indifferent & just "doesn't
care?"  No.

I never claimed any of these things. I don't know the reason for this. I
only know that it exists.

> Do I harbor the pomposity to believe that I could do any better?  No.

Well, I might...if it needs expanding (as it seems to) then I can do better.
But I shouldn't have to, you know.

> You're right.  I have that Monterey box set & I remember that the audience
is
> processed-sounding on that, too.

Woodstock too. And now that I think about it, The Band at Watkins Glen too.

> Trust me, people would complain about the real thing, too.  ("Why didn't
they
> fix *that*?!")

SOME people. Not me. I like things to sound real. That's why I have Klipsh
speakers and run my stereo flat.

> I know you don't, Mark.  You're a fine, upstanding Democrat.

Independent. Although I really called it on the capital gains tax cut. Did
you see the article in the Washington Post? DAMN, I said the exact same
thing here three days earlier! And I know I'll never get credit for being
100% correct...

> Anyone who
> runs a record or CD store is OK in my book.  That's like a fantasy job.

Don't dream it, be it. Hey, it's easier to do that sort of thing than one
might imagine. Everyone should work for themselves.

> There you go again (!).  Fiddling about!!

As soon as I finish the Smithereens bootlegs for Jon Dawson. Did you know
they covered Substitute as well as The Seeker and Young Man Blues?

> You don't!!!

I do...I'm driven.

> the remix was supervised by Pete Townshend.

Jon:

Yeah. That's what scares me. You know, his hearing and all.

"God may have mercy on you, but we won't."
        Senator John McCain

               Cheers                 ML