Re: New Pete's post: Live at Leeds

>Often, this is not the case. You simply get a new set of problems. I
>understand too that many of you who buy bootlegs, and who are
>complaining about tone quality on the new CD, are audiophiles, and -
>often - audio experts. I don't want to appear haughty or imperious about
>all this. I accept you annoying assholes know better than I do in many
>areas.

Well, having listened to the Tommy portion of the new LAL at home on a very
good system, it sounds pretty good. A lot better than on my store stereo. I
can accept it, even if disappointed because the other disc (as well as
Amazing Journey/Sparks) sounds better. And Pete's words here are rather
annoying and he's being a bit of an asshole himself when he writes
them...because if one part of Leeds can sound that great, why can't all of
it? Why is it being an "annoying asshole" to expect professionalism from
professionals? Why is it The Who is the only band of this caliber which is
always shorted in this regard? It's like this: you get some, but you'll
never get it all.
For the record, those I played it for yesterday all heard the sound
difference, every single one of them. So it's not just "audiophiles" who can
tell Tommy wasn't done as well as the rest. Really, it's pretty clear. I
hadn't noticed the vocal overdubs Drew mentions, but I haven't listened to
the boot in some time...but my feeling is: so what? They used some of the
studio Heaven And Hell to fill missing vocals too. Some of the guitar notes
were overdubbed and some of the songs were edited. No Spoonful in Shaking
All Over, right? That's what happens in a studio.
So, well, it sounds better than Isle Of Wight, anyway. The performance is
perfection. The excitement is obvious. And no, I don't feel Pete's words
about buying it to support the band are blackmail, but instead an honest
acknowledgement that this is how the band makes their living. I've said the
same myself: if you don't buy what they offer, don't expect them to offer
anything else. Fair enough.
I would also say this to Pete: most people who buy bootlegs would and do buy
the legitimate release if and when it's offered. I've had TLAL for about 5
years, but rushed out in a buying frenzy to get LALD. Didn't wait for it to
come into my store used, didn't get a burned copy of just the Tommy part
from a fellow Who fan to go with the LAL remixed I bought several years ago,
after having bought the 8-Track in 1970 and numberous copies of the LP as I
wore them out and the first CD release as well. I can say without
reservation that the vast majority of Who fans would buy legitimate released
of bootlegged material instead of the boots if they were available. The way
to stop bootlegging is to released the damned material!

"God may have mercy on you, but we won't."
        Senator John McCain

               Cheers                 ML