LAL+T: a report from an old friend

Live At Leeds will always have a special place in my heart, because while I
was already a fan of The Who when it came out, THIS is the album which made
me realize they were my FAVORITE band. Goodbye, Steppenwolf (fond memories
and all that), Hello WHO!
Boy, I played the shit out of that 8-Track!
At the time, I described it as the heaviest album ever recorded (that stuff
was important back then) and that Daltrey sounds like a triumphant Viking
singing on the prow of his ship as he returns from a successful raid, and
Townshend's guitar sounds like it's spewing molten steel with drops sent all
over the stage. Something like that. I've always contended that it's the
best live Rock album (so far).
Anyway, when it was rereleased a few years ago, it took on a new life. Not
only was it more complete, but it sounded even better. WOW! How could the
best live Rock album get better? Give us more of it! I resented the fact
that they didn't include the entire Tommy section. And while I was able to
get the bootleg about 5 years ago from an enterprising Who fan living in
Japan, it still didn't sound nearly as good as the remixed LAL. Still, it
sounded damned good and better than nothing.
Now, finally, the professional version has been released. And I'm listening
to it now. Granted that I don't have my best stereo system here at the
store, but I can already hear something which disturbs me...something that
will probably become more evident when I do get it home...there's a hollow,
tunnelly (best way I can describe it) sound to the vocals (and audience,
which I assume was picked up from the vocal mikes). Which, BTW, was NOT
evident on the bootleg.
So I don't know what happened. It doesn't sound like the other part of LAL.
And it's not on Amazing Journey/Sparks, either, which was released on the
second version.  Maybe in a fit of financial stupidity they're known
industry-wide for, MCA decided not to remix this part (although one would
think it was all done at the same time).
I'll wait for my final feelings on it until I hear it where it will sound
best, but right now I'm fearful that it is not what it could have, and
certainly should have been.

"God may have mercy on you, but we won't."
           Senator John McCain

               Cheers                 ML