Re: Conservative / Liberal ... Human...

Brian wrote:
 > What's that old line the right always loves to quote? "A conservative is a
 > liberal who got mugged.

and Mark countered:
 > Here's one for you Brian: "A conservative is a liberal who's had a
lobotomy."

I'm jumping in hear because I believe we all have more in common than we are
comfortable with.

I heard it this way:

"If your 18 and not a liberal, you don't have a heart. If your 50 and your
not conservative
you don't have a brain.".

This statement is simply painting the liberal as one with nothing to lose, and
the conservative with everything to lose (children, home, material goods, etc.)
Being liberal or conservative on certain issues and being the reverse on
others is
simply being human.

I much prefer my variation which is what I have observed in my own behavior
and in other
people over the years (I'm 38 and run my own business, have 2 children,
home, some debt...):

It goes something like this:

"If you see injustice to someone else and can empathize and retaliate,
you're liberal.
If you see injustice to yourself and your estate (family, belongings, etc.)
and you
retaliate, you're conservative.  If both of the above ever applied to you,
you're human"

Joe in Philly   -  WANTED - More Humans!