Re: Who/Remasters/Rating the recent tours

> I don't agree.  It's an exercise in futility." Gotta agree with you
> there, Kevin.

Nicole:

You ARE free not to participate. Besides, as I stated earlier, I'm not
giving opinions unless noted, but facts. The Who were more influencial,
they're better musicians, and much better live performers...therefore they
are the more important band.
But if you'd rather talk about Michael Jackson or Max Weinberg, feel free...

> <sigh>  The Beatles are always an event.

Keets:

The Zep remaster release was also an event. With Hendrix, they made a big
deal out of the family getting control of the material.
It CAN be done! Pete did a good job with the Lifehouse boxed set, if ONLY it
had been available in stores he would have sold a lot more.

> stats.  Maybe the charts show spikes in the sales, but the annual reports
> show a broader picture?  You'd figure that lots of lower sales figures
would
> beat a few spikes.

Go ahead...FIND a Rock band on the charts! And then see how long they stay.

> I'd type "lol" here but that wouldn't indicate how long I laughed at this.

Scott:

Hey, Lennon DID clap his hands and stamp his feet like a mental patient. I
have footage.

> For *you* maybe but hardly anyone else.

No, that's not the case. It's hard to find a Kenny fan. From the time FD was
released, the bitching started. And sure, he was OK live...playing or trying
to play Moon riffs. But his membership in the band was the beginning of the
ridicule of The Who by the general Rock public. Think about it: they made a
big deal about "going on" as a Rock band, then what do they do? Release a
wimpy album like FD! What's changed? The drummer!

On the other hand, the tour in 1989 showed The Who could still draw stadium
crowds. They set new records in ticket sales (until the Stones came behind
to deny them even this, a few months later).
Sure, some complained about the horns...I was one of these...but it was
still a great performance and I enjoyed the show. In 1996, they took it up a
level, and again in 2000.
All coming back from the down point, the Jones years.

> Yes, I don't recall all this bitching about Kenney Jones occurring at
> the time.

Rich:

I do. By my non-Who fans friends, who liked The Who but hated FD because it
was so weak.

> I was not happy to get it.  I bitched, whined and avoided from the day
they
> announced it.  Doesn't that set me apart from the crowd?

Jeff:

I was a bit dubious myself, until I heard the Radio City show, then I was
happy to see them on tour. And it was nice, after all those lonely years, to
be able to have my favorite band back for a summer. And say what you like
about that tour, they were great to see. Earth shattering? Now you sound
like a Beatles fan trying desperately to defend their band against the
facts. No band is Earth shattering. But if anyone's even close, it's The
Who.

      "I've spoken to the Vice President..."
   George "What should I do, what do you want me to DO???" Bush
                  regarding the attack on NYC

                   Cheers                   ML