Re: Gimmicks/Marketing The Who

> No gimmicks?  A large portion of their popularity was their boyish,
cherubic
> looks that drove little girls wild.

Kevin Mc:

The hair was certainly a gimmick. The collarless suits were a gimmick. And
there was a few stage moves, like Harrison doing a little dance in the
middle of a song or Lennon stamping his foot and clapping his hands like a
mental patient.

> That was completely uncalled for.  What did I ever do to you? :-)

Jeff:

Just a gentle reminder.

> Just that you shouldn't sell Michael Jackson short.

Keets:

It's not my fault he's a shrimp.

> He's been a very
> talented artist and had quite an impact on the way music is sold.

And I don't agree. Videos (and MTV) were around before Jackson did Thriller.

> It had reasonable promotion.

Maybe where you are, not here and not nationally. Beatles at the Beeb was an
"event;" networks had specials (including VH1) and "the word was out." When
The Who (and Kinks) BBC packages were released, it was not promoted. I could
say the same about Hendrix, Yardbirds, and Fleetwood Mac. Not promoted. None
of them sold very well, either.

> I still think it was the sound.  When Zeppelin's Sessions came out, they
> played it over the system at the record stores

Yeah, well what do you expect in a regular music store? High Fidelity was a
good movie and a great book, and Empire Records sounds good on paper, but we
all know most music stores aren't like either.

> I'm referring to the industry figures for last year.

I don't know where those figures are, but I do know that Hip-Hop has taken
over the charts and the charts reflect sales.

      "Bush will smoke a turd in Hell for
         what he's done to the economy"
     ML, a particularly astute political observer

               Cheers                   ML