RE: Pissing Matches

>From: Oshangrl@aol.com
>><<  I think they were influenced much more by The Beach Boys. >>
>
>This statement is about the most ridiculous one of all that I've read.
<snip>
>The Beatles were influenced by Little
>Richard, Chuck Berry,Elvis, Dylan...certainly not The Beach Boys!

Sorry, but you're way wrong here.  Go get yourself a copy of Pet Sounds by
The Beach Boys.  Read the liner notes.  In it describes how the drummer of
The Beach Boys, John Lennon, Paul M., and our own Keith Moon stayed up all
night listening to Pet Sounds prior to it's release while playing poker (I
believe).  John and Paul were amazed.  Keith hatted it since it wasn't the
typical beach-y music.  John and Paul felt threatened, and the album raised
the bar once again.
They were *very* influenced by The Beach Boys.
Do your homework before taking such a hard line with people.  And, it's ok
to say, "oh, I didn't know that".
Nothing worse than a "know it all" who is wrong.

>From: Oshangrl@aol.com
>
>><< eni, statements like that are gonna get folk pissed off at you.
>>Just a friendly warning. >>
>
>Who cares???

I do, Deni.  Most people on this list do, Deni.  I for one would hope you
would too.  There's nothing wrong with opinions.  Just don't insult people
when their opinion doesn't smell the same as yours.  It's the "you
are..(insert adjective)", or "that is (insert adjective)" statements that
will get people to attack you.
Hey, get pissed at me if you like, I'm just trying to lend a hand here.

>From: "L. Bird" <pkeets@hotmail.com>
>Subject: RE: Showing great restraint
>Groundbreaking videos.  They have a subtext and they qualify as
high-quality
>short films.  Look at the millions they made.

No thanks.  ;-)

>From: Oshangrl@aol.com
>I don't believe that you remember me..I used to follow you back in '73. :)
>Deni

Jeeez Deni, wrong again.  Go back and listen to Quad.  Or were you joking?

>From: AnEnglishBoy <campbell@fix.net>
>
>#1~
>
>Where is it written that to be on a given music oriented
>listserv that one must consider "that" band to be the
>****BEST**** ?!?!?!?

Nowhere.  I knew that statement was going to get me in trouble.  I simply
meant that a hard-core Beatles fan may have more fun on a Beatles list
rather than getting a Who fan all up in arms.
Maybe we should all go hunt out Beatles lists and start the same argument in
favor of The Who.
SROUNDSOUND, GO GET 'EM !!!!!!!!!!

>#2~
>
>Yoko/Julia (aka OceanGirl) has her head screwed on
>very tightly!!!!!

Perhaps, but she's not so tight on her facts.

>#4~
>
>I drift in OceanGirl's current.

Oh my!

>From: AnEnglishBoy <campbell@fix.net>
>Subject: Re: Who patriotism -Keith Moon 23 years
>
>Bonham is not worthy of Moonie's oft soiled underwear as a
>drummer.
>
>Bonham is the world's most OVER-RATED drummer.

Now you're playing my song!

>From: "Mark R. Leaman" <mleaman@sccoast.net>
>Subject: Re: Who/Beatles/LALC
>
>No. Why settle it? It's a great discussion.

I don't agree.  It's an exercise in futility.

>> check out some VH1 or other type polls (anywhere!) that consistently have
>> the Beatles as #1.
>
>With the Eagles right behind them? Point made, next case please.

Please, The Eagles aren't right behind them.  Point not made.  Point taken
away due to penalty for over exaggeration.  The Stones have consistently
landed #2.
Don't get me wrong.  The polls don't mean "much".  But, if a band is
consistently listed as "the #1 band of all time" I think it's a fair
statement to say "they are important to rock history" (or however I put it).

>> I mean really, this just isn't going anywhere.
>Yeah it is...The Who side is winning.

Perhaps, but we're all losing.

Kevin in VT
Yawn.