Re: The Who Mailing List Digest V8 #240

So cuteness was their gimmick, right?  They couldn't make it in the leather,
but they did fine as teen idols.  Frankie Avalon and David Cassidy used the
same gimmick--the important difference being that The Beatles actually were
excellent musicians and left excellent songs behind them.

The Who's gimmick attracted men, The Beatles gimmick attracted women--but
both used a gimmick to get their start, and both were bound by it later on.
The difference is, The Who were able to live with theirs.  It still lends an
element of suspense to the shows--"Will he or won't he..."  And now and then
there's a payoff.

:)
keets