Re: The Who and Scooby Doo too

> > short films.  Look at the millions they made.
>
>Look at the millions Backstreet Boys made. Your point?

Just that you shouldn't sell Michael Jackson short.  He's been a very
talented artist and had quite an impact on the way music is sold.  Any
band/musician in the market today has to deal with something of his legacy.

> > I gather there are additional songs not included on the album that
>complete the concept.  Supposedly it was cut, like LIFEHOUSE to make WHO'S
>NEXT.
>
>I wonder why they didn't include them later.

Maybe they wrote them later.  I dunno.  I'm not really clear on the whole
thing.  They did go on tour a couple of years ago, and during the publicity
is where I heard that about the additonal songs that supposedly make SF
SORROW competitive as the first "rock opera."  Somehow I think Pete's place
is secure, regardless.

> > Just a comment on possible strategy.  Do you have any suggestion as to
>why the album didn't sell well?
>
>Yeah, it wasn't promoted at all. Most people still don't know it's out. You
>forget that we know Who stuff months in advance, but the general public
>doesn't even look in the Who bin anymore. Most of my customers who ask me
>for Who CDs don't even know about the remixed versions.

It had reasonable promotion.  The local record stores set out big, colorful
stand-ups of the cover.  I saw it on TV and heard about it on radio.  Roger
did some interviews to promote it.  It just didn't catch on.

I still think it was the sound.  When Zeppelin's Sessions came out, they
played it over the system at the record stores, and folks walked up to the
counter and asked for it.  Would never have happened with The Who's
Sessions.  The clerks in the store could never have stood to listen to it
that long.

> > Rock's still number one--and by a wide margin, too.
>
>No, Hip-Hop sells better. Look to the charts.

I'm referring to the industry figures for last year.  They do check those
things.  The fact that rock is still king (regardless of what you see on
MTV) may have to do with the fact that the 35-55 crowd is the biggest
consumer of cds.  The kids aren't buying.

keets