reply to deni on point by point refutation

In a message dated 09/08/2001 10:28:07 AM Central Daylight Time,
TheWho-Digest-Owner@igtc.com writes:

> I  didn't say that just because they were older or first that they were
> better.

Nor did I say you did.  My post was not in response to anyone in particular.
I was just disqualifying that as a criteria for objective comparison.

> Oh my God...Pete even knows he isn't the best at lead guitar..Yes..he is
> great at power cords.  George Harrison is a much better "Lead" guitar
> player.

This is ludicrous.  Can't even believe you wrote this seriously.  How many
guitarists mention Pete as a major inspiration for their craft and how many
mention George?  Any which way u compare- Pete destroys George.  This one
isn't even close.  Of course Pete isn't going to say he's the best ever- he's
too humble for that and has too much admiration for guys like page and
hendrix.

> Unbelievable!  The Who's vocals are not even in the same league as The
> Beatles.  GEEZ!
> I admit that Roger is the best "Hard Rock" singer ever...but no comparison
> the range and harmonies that The Beatles had.

HUh??!!  Truth- Roger kicks all over Paul with pure vocal ability.  Truth-
the Who can sing Beatles type stuff and did with equal ability (I'm the Face,
The Kids are Alright) and there is no more beautiful song than Behind Blue
Eyes.  Truth- the Beatles couldn't do justice to songs like My Generation,
Won't Get Fooled Again, Baba O'Riley, Bargain, etc.)  Pete has a great voice,
as well (movie version- Amazing Journey).  Beatles songs- though great- are
all relatively easy to sing (one reason they were so popular).  The average
person can't easily sing along with many who tunes because the notes are too
tough.

> You said: Drums-- no need to comment here... adv- Who.
> Moon played with more energy but wasn't as meter conscious as Ringo.  Moon
> wouldn't have fit the bill for The Beatles' music and vice versa.

You might be the only person on earth who would put Ringo on a level par with
Keith Moon.  Again- how many great drummers were inspired by fucking Ringo!
U might be only human ever to criticize Moon for not being as "meter
conscious" as Ringo.

> You said: I prefer Pete's wild style and innovative concepts, but the
> Beatles
> did have 2 of the greatest ever in Paul and John, so... adv, Beatles.
>
> John and Paul had the most innovative and wild lyrics (especially John's)
> of
> all starting with Revolver.  George even had a few too.  I don't think you
> have listened to any of their lyrics.

I gave this one to the Beatles, OK!  What more do you want?  I said i prefer
Townshend but objectively Paul and John would have to be rated better.  I
meant wild as in sort of undisciplined and angry.  Yes- john lennon
especially had very edgy and wild lyrics as controversial as any- and
certainly innovative.

> You said: The Who remained a relevant force with new music from 1965
> through 1982.  Beatles done by end of the 60s.
>
> The Beatles' music has lived forever.  If John would have lived they were
> going to get back together and no telling what they would have
> accomplished.
> Also,  most new bands give credit to The Beatles, not The Who.

If if's and buts were candy and nuts we'd all have a wonderful christmas.
The BANDS' longevity with NEW music was the issue.  Can't contest this.
Besides- rock and roll today sounds much more like the Who than the Beatles.

> You said:  LIVE- nuff said... adv- Who
> When  I saw The Beatles live in '66...it was like the second coming!  If
> they
> were still playing live...it would be the same.   The Who are great live.
> saw them many times standing right on the side of the stage, holding John's
> leather jacket, watching Moon going crazy, etc..but it is not the same
> feeling  that I had when I saw The Beatles live.  You just had to be there
> guess.

You were obviously biased by your preference for the Beatles.  Objectively-
most would agree that the Who was the greatest live band ever.  Again- u are
one of very few who would actually take this away from the Shepherd's Bush.
TRY to be objective.  I put my preferences aside and gave several points to
the liverpudlians.