Re: Who/Beatles/LALC

> Can we please just settle this by saying we all love The Who more, but The
> BeaTles were a great band that has their place in rock history??

Kevin:

No. Why settle it? It's a great discussion.

> check out some VH1 or other type polls (anywhere!) that consistently have
> the Beatles as #1.

With the Eagles right behind them? Point made, next case please.

> I mean really, this just isn't going anywhere.

Yeah it is...The Who side is winning.

> Point by point augument is pointless.

Jeff:

Now you sound like the Prez.

> No, Mark, he was talking about Sgt Peppers, I'll go home tonight and dig
out
> the appropriate video / article / quote.

Nigel:

If I read what you wrote correctly, it's Pete on Kids Are Alright, and it's
B&W footage where he's being asked by a American Bandstand-type woman
interviewer if he thinks the Beatles has any quality. He replies that he was
listening to a new album and the vocals were on one side and the backing
track on the other...and SP isn't mixed that way, unless you guys got a
special mix in the UK.

> Also, SF Sorrow WAS sold as a THEMEMATIC album the term "rock opera"
hadn't
> been coined then.

There you go, then. Not even a concept album. However, if you listen to the
Monterey Pop dialogue by Roger, he describes A Quick One as "from an opera
Pete is working on." That's in 1967.

> Seems like the better strategy would have been to take some of the edge
off
> the material so it would have a broader appeal.

Keets:

Taking the edge off The Who's music? Are you kidding???? I'll pass.

> or three copies of the same thing? To spend the money
> on a cd just because Tommy is on does not make any
> sence to me well because I already have LALComplete on

Sue:

Just a point to consider: LALC sounds about as good as the original LAL
release, but the reissue sounded MUCH better...we can assume the Tommy
section was remixed at the same time, and will sound as good as Amazing
Journey does on the current version. Try comparing the two and see if it
doesn't make you want to own the entire Tommy live. If not, well no one's
going to make you buy it.

> was the Seventies Who that captured the US, not the power-pop Sixties
> version.

Keets:

Wrong. It was Tommy and their performance at Woodstock which captured the
US. I guess we can credit Pinball Wizard most of all, because the album was
their first to enter the charts at a reasonable level and go up.

> Becoming the establishment is what killed rock.

No, getting used up and bands playing it safe and/or trying to make it
"mature" killed it. Hey, how much Rock do you think there can be before it's
repeating itself? I haven't heard anything new since the early `70's, just
rehash. Still Rock was the number one music until the late `90's.

> Maybe you're not a dance fan.

Or maybe I just dance to different music.

"The suicide bombings have increased. There's too many of them."
          George "my IQ is 91" Bush

               Cheers                 ML