From: owner-thewho@igtc.com [mailto:owner-thewho@igtc.com]On Behalf Of
Mark R. Leaman
Sent: 04 September 2001 14:24
To: TheWho@igtc.com
Subject: Beatles/Who looked at objectively

> I'm not sure I would say that The Who were the first "Hard Rock" band
either.

Deni:

You might not say it, but it's still true. I Want To Hold Your Hand &
Standing There were no harder than any Chuck Berry song, whereas My
Generation was pure Rock. No one had come close at that point.
Please note IWTHYH has that cute little riff (the one after "...say to
me...") while MG is in your face and there's nothing cute or sweet about it.
Standing There has the Poppy "Oooohhh!."
Early Who music was unrelenting, pure, and ugly. "You're gonna know me
woman/And I'm gonna know you..." "Our love was hard and fast..." John & Paul
would never have written such a blunt lyrics.
Looking at it with complete objectivity, Beatles music isn't very different
than Elvis, Holly, and Little Richard...and a LOT like The Beach Boys, who
were the ones who first came up with the sound The Beatles rode to glory.
They were a great band, but they just weren't in the same league as The Who.
Nor were The Stones. The Kinks, yes (for a while), Dylan, of course, XTC,
I'd argue that case. And NONE of them had the performance level of The Who,
so that pretty much gives them the edge.

"It's so much easier to quit on somebody than to remediate."
          George "my IQ is 91" Bush

               Cheers                 ML