Pete on lyrics

Here's a bit from an early NME interview courtesy another list.  Pete
(during his early genius phase) comments on lyrics, "Strawberry Fields" and
predicts MTV.  If anyone collects these things, I can forward the whole
thing.

>Explained Pete: "Power-pop is what we play - what the Small Faces used to
>play, and the kind of pop the Beach Boys played in the
days of 'Fun Fun Fun' which I preferred.  There are too many groups involved
in the same kind of scene as the Move where every word has to mean
something.  The Beach Boys are playing on this kind of ethereal level where
the public are expected to come to them and be taught.

"I believe pop music should be like the TV - something you can turn on or
off and shouldn't disturb the mind.  Eventually these people are going to go
too far and leave the rest of the world behind.  It's very hard to like
'Strawberry Fields Forever' for simply what it is. Some artists are
becomming musically unapproachable."

We discussed the progress of pop people and where The Who were going.

"To retain the attention of the public every pop star has to make the
transition to films at some time," said Pete.  Elvis did it - so did The
Beatles and so did Cliff. Paul Jones looks to me as if he has done it with
'Privelage.' It's the only way to last.