Re: MSG Performance

> Do you think John and Pete turned up from the stage?

Sure.  Men like to adjust things.

> Or did the sound guys  finally get it right after three songs.

Yes, they finally figured it out by that time.

> >BOR was....er....OK.  Actually it was better than OK.  They pulled it off.
> >OX was a little off with the backing track at the beginning & Roger had
> >problems.  He started the harmonica solo awkwardly &, yes, had to catch his
> >breath in order to continue.
>
> That's what I thought at first, too.  I've watched it a few more times, and
> I've decided he was waiting for Zak and John to get it together.  He didn't
> stop to catch his breath.  He stopped to glare at Zak.

No way!  Daltrey would never interupt his performance to give someone in
the band a mean look.  Not if it was going to affect his delivery (vocal-wise
or harmonica-wise).  Besides, you're biased because you like his butt!

> Somebody with a better ear help me out on this one.  John and Zak started
> out of sync, right?

At the very beginning, John was out of synch with the piano/keyboard track.

> And when did they get it back together?

Very quickly.

> Seems to me  that they were still off when Roger finally started the harmonica solo.
> Yes?  No?

No.  I don't think so.

> Or did he just have a hard time catching up to where they were?

Yes.  There's a ryhthm to his harmonica part.  Counter-accents & all that.
Flourishes.  You know it!  You've heard it a million times!  He just started
off oddly, held a note too long, had to take a breath to continue, possibly
panicked a bit, & fumbled his way through the rest of it.

Re: BBE:

> It was the mike again.

Mike who?  Oh.....mic!

> Roger always lightens up on this one to get the
> emotion in it, but this time he was having a really tough time getting
> volume and style both.

Yeah, God love him & I sure don't envy him having to sing that difficult song.

> Pete had to help where he did to get the volume up
> to forte.  I was seriously impressed with the quick recognition and fix for
> the problems, myself.

And it gave Daltrey something to gage his vocals against.  A guide if you will.
Sadly, it didn't help very much.

> Like somebody else recently said, the snafus are more fun than a tight show.

Who wants perfection?  Life's not perfect.  We want passion.  And power.

> >I don't believe they purposely left out "Meet the new boss...."  Daltrey
> >was out of breath after that crazy, three-tiered scream & just plain
> >skipped it.  They wouldn't censor their music.
>
> I don't know that it's censoring.  There was some discussions on the lists
> that indicated folks thought it would be inappropriate.

Well, then why didn't they leave out the "They're all wasted" part in B'OR?
Any Who song must stand on its own merits.  The Who wouldn't gear or ad-
just any lyrics to fit a certain event.  Atleast I hope they wouldn't.  Would they?
Nah.  Daltrey just missed it, that's all.

- SCHRADE in Akron