Re: MSG Performance

>OK, a week & half after the fact, I've finally seen The Who's performance
>at the MSG benefit show.  Regarding the mix:  you gotta remember there are
>two mixes going on.  One dude mixing the sound for the people in MSG, & one
>dude mixing it for the T.V. audience.  Plus, Pete & John can turn
>themselves up or down from the stage!  And each act had to be handled
>differently.  More head-aches for the sound dudes.

Do you think John and Pete turned up from the stage?  Or did the sound guys
finally get it right after three songs.  By the time they got to WGFA, the
sound was pretty decent.

>And he's gonna channel all those audience emotions right into his body &
>out through his guitar.  Must be nice to have that kind of power, huh?

Heheh.  And besides all that, it was pretty tight.  He showed off some
excellent guitar work there, and also added the trademark squall.

>BOR was....er....OK.  Actually it was better than OK.  They pulled it off.
>OX was a little off with the backing track at the beginning & Roger had
>problems.  He started the harmonica solo awkwardly &, yes, had to catch his
>breath in order to continue.

That's what I thought at first, too.  I've watched it a few more times, and
I've decided he was waiting for Zak and John to get it together.  He didn't
stop to catch his breath.  He stopped to glare at Zak.

Somebody with a better ear help me out on this one.  John and Zak started
out of sync, right?  And when did they get it back together?  Seems to me
that they were still off when Roger finally started the harmonica solo.
Yes?  No?  Or did he just have a hard time catching up to where they were?
It still sounds really wild while he's playing, and then suddenly comes
together.

>BBE was awful & if I never hear The Who play it again live I won't be
>sorry.  Daltrey sounded like he was singing with his throat & not his
>chest.  Pete was forced to provide some backing for him.  And while
>anguishing over Roger's problems I was also warmed by Pete's kindness &
>caring, attempting to come to his rescue.  I can read a lot into a Who
>performance!

It was the mike again.  Roger always lightens up on this one to get the
emotion in it, but this time he was having a really tough time getting
volume and style both.  Pete had to help where he did to get the volume up
to forte.  I was seriously impressed with the quick recognition and fix for
the problems, myself.  Like somebody else recently said, the snafus are more
fun than a tight show.

>I don't believe they purposely left out "Meet the new boss...."  Daltrey
>was out of breath after that crazy, three-tiered scream & just plain
>skipped it.  They wouldn't censor their music.

I don't know that it's censoring.  There was some discussions on the lists
that indicated folks thought it would be inappropriate.  Many of Pete's
lyrics are general enough that you have to think about what he means, but
that one has a definite political statement at the end.  It was NOT a night
to make a political statement, and most everybody that tried to make one got
into hot water.  The Who did really well to get in, fire everybody up, fail
to make a statement, and get out safely.   ;)

>How many bands can completely galvanize a disparate audience, making
>everyone "one?" How many bands can steal a show from the "greats" of rock &
>roll?  Even on an "off night?"
>
>I can think of one.  Can't you?
>
>LONG LIVE THE WHO!!

Okay.  I'll go with that.  :):)