Re: "Won't Get Fooled Again" and patriotism

>Interesting.  This guy seems to think WGFA was originally written about
>Vietnam.  Maybe in his world (of 1971) that was an apt interpretation.

My reading of it is just that the times are similar.  When he references the
song, he references the statment that ends it.

>I was watching the Concert for NY this weekend with another Who-head and we
>could not agree on why "Meet the new boss..." was taken out.
>
>My take:  The intended audience of the show (the heroes of NY) needed to
>hear and feel that this (the attacks) should not happen again.  By removing
>this line, The Who removed the political cynicism that it implies.
>
>My Who-head friend's take: It was either a mistake, or was removed to show
>Osama that we are united against them.

I'd say both of these are correct interpretations, and that it wasn't a
mistake.  This is one of the more political songs Pete has written, mostly
due to that cynical statement at the end.  They've taken that out to make it
more neutral, and to make it easier for the listener to interpret according
to their own feelings.

It's interesting that people seemed to respond to the emotional content of
the songs--the unspoken message--more so than to the specific words.

keets