RE: New Who? Keep hope alive!

>From: "Oswaldo Akamine Jr." <motax@uol.com.br>
>Subject: No new record c/w indulgence
>
>I point that Pete sees himself today as a stablished performer. He's an
>artist on his own and he must have his own spot. If he had to choose
>between The Who and his solo work, he would choose the second, without
>any doubt. I guess the only real possibility for a new Who album is
>"popular demand", a kind of indulgence, something for the sake of
>millions of fans.

I have to disagree with you here.  Given an equal choice, perhaps you are
correct. But, it's not a choice at the moment.  Pete has even written just
recently in his diaries that he sees The Who as his artistic vehicle at the
moment (or something like that).
He's even stated VERY recently that he has music lined up for possibilities
for a new album.
Definitely at one time, perhaps a couple of years ago, Pete would rely on
his solo work more, but that has changed.  While he still digs his own
projects, and why not, he's more focused with The Who than he has been in
many years.
Don't lose hope out there folks, based solely on one persons account of what
Pete said behind stage.  So what if Pete and Rog can't work together
artistically?  With very few exceptions, they never did.  That doesn't mean
that Pete is throwing in the towel.  I also believe that Pete realizes he
has a MUCH better chance of having a successful musical release with The
Who, rather than a new solo project.  Pete as a solo musician is not very
recognized at the moment.  Did anyone here the name Pete Townshend mentioned
at the MSG Charity gig?  He's simply not as big solo as other solo
performers like Clapton, Macca, Elton, Billy J., and .....definitely not as
big as The Who.  He knows it.  It hurts him, I'm sure, but he knows it.
I still think there will be something new.  At least I hope.  It may not
involve a collaborative effort with Rog or John, but neither did WN. :-)

Currently, The Who has the world's attention.
There is a distinct opportunity to be grasped.
I can't imagine that Pete would let the opportunity slide past them, or to
be more correct, that Rog and John will *allow* Pete to let the opportunity
to slide past them.

Keep hope alive my brotha's!!!

Stay in Tune,
Kevin in VT