Re: MSG Notes

>Roger - YOU are the weakest link.  (But not good-bye of course)  What was
>it with RD??? Someone mentioned perhaps a cold, and I must agree that
>SOMETHING was off with him.

My opinion?  There were serious sound problems, and Roger did a terrific job
of rescuing an ugly situation.  We've already mentioned the guitars, and
Kevin said you couldn't hear Roger at the show over the screaming crowd.
Pete had to yell into the mike.  John got lost on B'OR.  Here's what I think
went on--run the tape back and tell me what you all think.

The backing tapes were great (thank god).  They came up nice and loud, lots
of drama.  Then Roger starts to sing, and you can't hear him.  I'm watching
it from home, and I think uh-oh, and Roger's thinking it, too.  You can see
it in his eyes--he can't hear himself in the monitor.  On the next line,
it's adjusted, but it's not that somebody turned up the mike.  Roger is the
world's loudest rock singer, and he's loaded it up.  It's a little rough,
but as far as I can tell, it's almost exactly the same as the studio album,
20+ years ago.  He's handling the phrasing extremely well, though he steps
down some of the pitch changes rather than risk a flat note.  The only
problem is, he's maxed out on volume, so he's got very little in the way of
dynamics.

That's where we get into trouble on BBE, because it requires breath control
and dynamic changes that are tough for Roger on a good night.  The first
part is pretty good, though you can hear that he's out of breath.  I'd guess
Pete's hearing something he doesn't like, and that hip check isn't a playful
move, but then Roger's not got enough volume for the loud part and Pete has
to help out.  Next, Roger is clearly flat on the last line.  Pete frowns
darkly.

But WGFA goes really well.  We're back to the situation were raw volume and
a strong diaphragm will do the trick.  A little trouble on the scream, but
it's just that his voice cracked.  What the hell.  There's only so much you
can expect.  Big hug from Pete.  ;)

There wasn't much Pete or John could do to change what was coming through
the board and into the audio feed as far as the guitars went, but Roger did
handle the lyrics.  It's really a shame if no one could hear him at the
show, but X million viewers heard it loud and clear at home.  And except for
that one line on BBE, it was fine.
Comments?  I'll bet that's why John got lost, too.  He couldn't hear shit.

>Pete was SO into the music that he was lost in the moment, throwing his
>head back, closing his eyes, etc.. and the imagery gave me chills.
>Specifically, the almost spiritual performance by Pete with the images
>above him...  If anyone has found a pic of that moment - PLEASE share it
>with us.

Great work from the camera guys just about then.  They shot some guy in the
audience with that same expression--totally lost in the moment.

>Most emotional moment:  Behind Blue Eyes (before the funny audience

>The people connected with BBE so undeniably, that the song has been reborn
>in my humble blue eyes.

Rough as it was, it worked the magic.

>And why were our boys so quiet?  In between songs, I mean.  Only a few
>mutterings between songs or after the set.  Every other band or group said
>something appropriate for the night, but I was suprised that The Who didn't
>say much at all.  They must've let the music do the talking, I suppose.

Mikes didn't work.  Pete had to yell the only comment he made.  No time.
But, yes, the music did speak for them.

>And yes, I too was delighted to see Buddy with Clapton.  I've met Buddy
>many times and he's a good guy (no pun intended).  I agree, it's too bad
>nobody mentioned his name...

It's on the VH1 lists.  People who wanted to know found out who he was.

keets