King Rabbit demo

No this isn't a tribute to The Who's keyboardist but an old Pete demo from
the time of "Happy Jack". Here's Pete to explain from:
http://www.eelpie.com/downloads-view.cfm?id=7&zone=download

The Meaninglessness of Bunny-Pop

I suppose this little demo, recorded around the time of Happy Jack - (like
Lazy, Fat People above) - was simply a test of some recording trick I was
developing at the time. The time was late 1967 [sic - mid-late 1966]. My
studio was on the top floor of a flat in Soho, the corner of Brewer Street
and Wardour Street. I used a couple of Vortexion stereo recorders, bouncing
from machine to machine. Silly words. Quite nice music though.

If I look at what was going on at the time maybe I can work out what spurred
me to produce so many 'nonsense' songs then. The Who were in their early
days working very hard indeed on the road, mainly playing shows in the UK
and Scandinavia. I was just 22 years old and I think sometimes after hard
and serious Who show, and a lot of driving, I just wanted to relax, play
music, and be stupid.

It was around this time and in the same room that I recorded the demo for
what later became The Underture and Sparks from Tommy. I had bought my first
small drum kit, a cello, some congas, and a very simple Lowrey organ. At
first I used the drums in an almost orchestral way. Banging cymbals whenever
I felt the music needed a lift, and hitting drums to create buildups.
Sometimes I sang while I was doing that. I had to try to keep the number of
overdubs to a minimum.

However hard I tried, the sounds always collapsed after the third or fourth
copy back and forth. There was little I could do about it until years later
when I bought Dolbys, then - finally - an incredibly expensive 8 Track
professional studio recorder.

Click on the link above to go to the Real Audio of the demo.

        -Brian in Atlanta
         The Who This Month!
        http://members.home.net/cadyb/who.htm
        (and no pop-ups!)