RE: Where the hell have I been....................

>From: "Jeff House" <whocasa@hotmail.com>
>Subject: Re: re-Where is Brian ?
>
>BTW, did you notice Kevin O'Neal is gone as well?   Strange days.

Strange days indeed.
Well, I'm back.......sort of.  Just started to peek around the corner at the
list.
I've been out.  Out of my brain.  Out of my state.  Out of patience.  Out of
luck.  But most importantly, out trying to get used to how things now are.
Don't let anyone tell you differently......The world *is* different now.
I've seen much since 9/11/01.
I've seen the NY Throughway and Garden State Throughway absolutely covered
with American Flags.  I've seen the NY area with "WANTED: DEAD OR ALIVE"
posters *everywhere*.
I've seen my good friends wedding reception come to a grinding halt as we
all stood silent and watched from the roof of The Hotel Washington as the
flag on the White House was ceremoniously raised again to full mast.
I've seen snipers on the White House looking back at me with binoculars.
I've seen my home town of Washington without air traffic (bi-zzar).
I've seen many of my close Washington friends scared and debate the future.
I've seen the coolest sun-set while driving down the beach between The
Hatteras Lighthouse and Frisco.............with BABA blasting in my Jeep.
I've seen big waves from the inside of "The Green Room" (wish that room
didn't close out so quickly).
I've seen children who luckily didn't have a clue.
I've seen my sister fight against depression after losing close friends.
I've seen my parents try to re-assure her as she pleads with them to move
away from Washington.
I've seen myself decide to leave IGTC for a much needed "time out" for the
first time in over 3+ years.
I've seen long standing cornerstones of Who fandom leave IGTC for the first
time I can remember.
I've seen IGTC "lose it" for a bit.
I've seen fellow Who Brothers and Sisters treated badly and with little
respect.

The family that *IS* igtc has had it's first significant melt down (IMO).
While some may want to call igtc the "self proclaimed lovey dovey list",
it's never been that way.  BUT, what it *has* been is respectful.  Our list
has always tried to rise above the crap.  We've listened when people have
said "enough!".  We've listened when people said "take it off list".  We've
listened, because we've respected the feelings of our fellow listers.  We've
also defended igtc from those who from time to time make sport of trying to
put us down.

Now, I don't mean to preach.  But, I also don't want what has happened since
9/11 to simply be ignored or dismissed.  A bunch of people were getting hurt
on this list.  IN MY OPINION, it's not necessary and also shouldn't be
happening.  Granted, things in the world were crazy.  Hell, they still are.
But isn't that just the time when we should be taking extra care not to make
igtc crazy too?  Isn't this just the time that we should be paying extra
attention to make sure we treat our fellow Who fans with respect??  We *are*
all Who Brothers and sisters.  We have many different interests outside of
The Who (yes, I know, hard to believe).  But, we can't expect others here to
share our non-who interests.

People, what I'm trying to say is......is..........
Awe hell.  I think most know what I'm trying to say.
I just don't want to see igtc be a list that forces great Who fans to seek
Who camaraderie elsewhere.  That's not what we're about.  If it is, it will
be the end of igtc.

A note to Brian Cady:
Give it another try.
Don't give up on us yet.
You are greatly respected on this list, and your absence is a great loss.
While I'm saddened that you have chosen not to participate in igtc
discussions, I am also dismayed that you have chosen to punish the entire
list by not at least including us in your mass who-list mailings and
notifications.  Try digest for a while if you prefer to exclude certain folk
from your mailbox, but please don't alienate the entire list.  We are all
Who fans after all, and until shortly after 9/11 were a place you could feel
safe at.  That safety will return, and hopefully you will too.

Well, thanks for reading all.
I'll step off my soap box now.
I'm tired.
Been tired for quite a while now. Since, oh, 9/11 ?

Hope to see some of you in NY.
Kevin in VT
(now could also be called "slipkid" since that's what my VT license plate
now says!)