Audience vs Artist

From: "Luke Pacholski" <LukPac@lukpac.org>
via:  "Jon Rhein" <rhein@betterthanlife.com>

 > How about this - you have your favorite movie on VHS, and it looks
 > pretty good. You get the DVD because it has extra footage and you
 > expect the quality to be improved. When you watch the DVD, though,
 > you notice the colors are washed out, there's little contrast, and
 > the print is riddled with dirt and scratches. Would *that* be "ok"?

I love a good analogy :-)

To answer your question:  It would not be ok.

The question we are kicking around is:  What do you do about it?

Do you discuss it with other fans of the movie who are similarly
disappointed?  Do you offer your opinion of the mistakes whenever and
wherever the subject comes up?  Do you seek out the producer, director,
manufacturer, actors, screenwriter, etc to point out the imperfections?  Do
you call them names and question their motives?

What if the director held a discussion group at your local University?
Would you drop in to vent your displeasure at what he did to your favorite
movie?

Is there a line between artist and audience?   Does the audience belong in
the artists' face?

Jeff