publicity machines

This article has stuck in my mind, especially the bit about the publicity
machine.  There have been comments that The Who was obscure because the last
couple of tours were underpromoted, also indicating that everyone thinks it
promotion/publicity that sells a band/album/artist.

Mick has done everything according to formula here, but apparently the album
is not selling well.  Same for McCartney's album, even with the big deal he
made to headline Concert for NYC.  On the other hand, there's a rumor that
CFNYC has caused a jump in Who album sales.

I'd like to suggest that it's quality that really counts for a
band/album/artist, and that strategy rather than publicity wins at
marketing.  Any successful artist has to have both: a quality product, and
the right strategy to capture the public consciousness.

Where did Mick go wrong?  Following a formula?  Trying to appeal to the
wrong audience?

keets

>Mick Jagger Rocked by Poor Album Sales - Reports
LONDON (Reuters) - Rolling Stones frontman Mick Jagger's new solo album sold
just 954 copies on its first day on sale, according to British newspapers on
Wednesday. Despite a massive publicity effort, the 58-year-old singer's
third solo album ``Goddess In The Doorway'' was lying at number 85 in the
British charts. On the same day, Robbie Williams' new album ``Swing While
You're Winning,'' sold 73,000 copies. The Daily Mail quoted a music industry
insider as saying: ''These results have staggered everyone. ``They are very,
very disappointing considering the Jagger publicity machine has been
absolutely wonderful.'' Jagger's spokesman Bernard Docherty said: ``I cannot
possibly comment on the album sales. It is far too early to tell.'