Re: Rock is Rock

>I just don't know what to say to you here. But I'll think of something
>(what a surprise). I will agree with you that RnR is originally American.
>Despite the fact that its eventual roots (or "ruts" as one might pronounce
>it if one were the current President, and don't ask him to pronouce
>"nuclear" because he can't) coming from British minstrel music (as well as
>good ol' homegrown American Blues). Country music also came from Minstrel
>music, as well as early Blues (known as Country Blues and currently
>somewhat fashionable due
to O Brother Where Art Thou). The other side of Blues came, of course, from
Gospel, which came from field slave songs, which came from African songs.

Don't forget white Gospel.  It has the sound of Irish music set to guitar
and is pretty obviously "roots country," complete with the nasal twang. You
seldom hear it now except on backwoods radio stations in the South, but it
is still there to remind us where country music came from.  I can't really
detect anything in it in the way of black influence.

keets