RE: MY GENERATION - REMASTERED

Just read that My Generation is, finally, going to be re-mastered.  Check
out the Townshend site and also www.sheltalmy.com/whotapes for more specific
info.  I dare say that this will set off another spate of moans and groans
about the quality / style of the re-mastering that's been done previously.
For me, I'm just glad and thankfull that this album is finally going to get
some decent treatment - my ear's aren't so sensitive that they'd spoil my
absolute pleasure at hearing this album "polished down and brightened up".
Oh well, that's my thought's for what they're worth.

In one of the recent Who digests I cam across someone who, after I'd
commented on "It's Hard" and my initial dislike of it, commented that they'd
had the same problem with "Who By Number", especially the track "Blue, Red
and Grey".  Initially, when it was released, I thought that WBN was a weak
album, where was the power I'd come to expect?  I hated then, and only
loathe today, "Squeeze Box" - a trite single that isn't equal to anything
they'd done before.  I'm a lover of PT's silly singles - "I'm A Boy";
"Dogs", "Happy Jack" etc, etc but Squeeze Box is just pretty poor.  Anyway,
I'd would say stick with WBN as it is a great "grower" and on the '75 tour
there were some great live versions of some of the material , especially
"Dreaming From The Waist".

I personally think that it's great that a group I've been mad over for all
of my adult life (since first seening them in December '68) can still
entertain me, can still satisfy me, can still frustrate me. Returning to
their albums that haven't hooked me immediately is also a pleasure 'cos I
can now find things in them that I didn't hear first time around.  This is
certainly the case with "It's Hard" and "Face Dances", also (too a lesser
degree) with PT's "Iron Man" which appears to be one of the most disliked
solo outing's by him judging from previous remarks made on this board.

To those that posted on Springsteen with the unoriginal criticism that he
only sings about "gals n cars" may I suggest that you actually listen to the
recent material.  The "car n gal" obsession really evaporated after The
River / Nebraska / Born In The USA period.  The reason I love him is because
after the Who this is probably the most exciting live performer EVER - he is
a human juke box.  Go listen to "Tom Joad" and you'll discover and album of
exceptional maturity.

Now I'm just waiting to hear if there will be an album of new material by
The Who.  I'll wait and see what transpires - it could be good, it could
great, it could be utter shit, but whatever it is I know that I'll look
forward to it even though in the long term there is always the chance that
it'll disappoint me!  (Then, maybe, 15 years later I'll like it!!)

NIGEL MORTON
Moneypenny,
The Stables, Westwood House,
Main Street, North Dalton,