Re: The Who Mailing List Digest V8 #319

> Well, he was acclaimed "bassist of the millenium" recently...

Lucas:

Yeah, dammit. To think we have to settle for that! Typical...

> bass guitar, and although Entwistle is clearly better, Paul's influence
> on the instrument playing was much larger than John's.

I don't know about that. Bill Black, anyone?

> "best" is a dangerous adjective... No doubt they were the most powerful
> rhythm section of rock'n'roll, but there are lots of musicians that
> could be considered better than them. How could we compare, say, Keith
> Moon to guys such as Bill Bruford/Pierre Moerlen/Christian Vander/Dave
> Weckl or Entwistle to guys such as Jeff Berlin/John Patitucci/Marcus
> Miller/Victor Wooten?

Favorably. Best I say, most skilled and most astute performancewise, and I
stand by that.

> This is also very subjective. Although Townshend guitar playing is much
> more fun to hear, the riff from "And You Bird Can Sing" is much more
> difficult to play than maybe more than 95% of Townshend riffs on The
> Who.

And 100% of Beatles' riffs. Pete's lead on ICE is in the ballpark of AYBCS.
Sadly, we have little live material from that period to compare with so it's
hard for me to take this one on directly.
I mean, if you want to compare leads, how about the one in All You Need Is
Love?

> Many Who fans would like an official live QUAD release from the '96 tour
> but it doesn't seem to be high on the list of Who projects (unless
something
> secret is going on that we don't know about).

Scott:

Higher for me is a release from 1973, when the material was fresh and it was
JUST The Who. A `97 (they were better in `97 than `96) Quad wouldn't be a
priority for me until AFTER a `73 was released.

"God may have mercy on you, but we won't."
        Senator John McCain

               Cheers                 ML