RE: The Who Mailing List Digest V8 #318

Hi folks,

And firstly for all of our American friends, Happy Thanks Giving.  Anyway,
just thought I'd post up something that isn't me going on about an incorrect
fact or rebutting an argument / opinion about who is the best drummer / band
etc in the world.  Last night while clearing up at home I pulled out the
re-issued / re-mastered "It's Hard" by our dear old faves, The 'Oo.  It's
never been a favourite of mine and I think if it weren't for the fact that
I'm a bit of a completist I wouldn't have actually bothered buying it.

Anyway, and without going into a track by track breakdown, I've just got to
say it is worth going back to this release of theirs (if you're not into it
completely) as this time around I found it more interesting and enjoyable
then when it was first released / re-issued. Perhaps I have finally been
able to listen to it in a proper manner and without expecting something that
would be "imitating" the sounds of my (mispent) youth.  There's a maturity
in the lyrics that I hadn't previously heard though I did feel that most
tracks would've worked either here on "It's Hard" or on an equivalent period
Townshend solo release.

The performances by each of the musicians is superb - even though I still,
personally, have a problem with Kenney Jones - and Townshend seems to be
having a good attempt at dealing with broader and more mature themes.
Perhaps this is what we should be hoping for if he / they ever do get around
to recording some absolutely new material.  We've all moved on greatly (here
I'm really addressing the older and longer period Who fans) since those
halcyon days of our youth and I know that if I admit it my outlook on many
things has changed.  Which is not to say that I moved from the far left to
the far right - perhaps my ears and senses have opend that much further as I
begin to run out of birthdays that are in the '40's.  But, it can be tricky
writing about "middle age" and it's responsibilites in a way that'd appeal
to more than a narrow base of people.

Well, going to go home and listen to "It's Hard" again tonight just that
little bit harder.  It certainly is great to discover something "new" from
an act that I've probably listened to more than other in existance.  Also,
here's hoping that this posting makes it onto the list as my last two seem
not to have done so!  Perhaps the ajudicator considered them not worthy!!
Oh well.  Finally, after making some calls and speaking with assorted
friends and contacts around the industry I'm pretty much 99.9999% certain
that Townshend has never played at the Royal Albert Hall, London in any of
his "solo" outings.

Don't get sick on the turkey................Best wishes to you all.