Re: zak vs ringo

Rich wrote:
>> Well, he was the first drummer in a Rock & Roll
band
>> to really get noticed.

> Sure, but does that make him an innovative drummer,
> just because he got noticed?

I once heard a guy (I think it was a drummer from a
famous hard rock band, but I'm not sure) saying that
Ringo was the first true rock drummer (because before
the Beatles era most rock drummers played much more
like R&B drummers). That's not totally true (in fact
there were a few guys before him that did what
nowadays is common in rock drumming, as the drummer
from The Ventures), but this show that he did had his
importance. If we listen carefully to the Beatles
material, there are some really interesting drum
lines. In fact Ringo did some experimentations that.

> If we were talking about someone like Buddy Rich, I
> wouldn't think twice about it.

It's really not fair to compare rock and jazz
musicians. If we do that, even John Entwistle would be underrated...
http://geocities.yahoo.com/ps/info1