Scoop 3 Review

My SCOOP 3 arrived today!  It was a bit squished from the Eel Pie
postal packaging.  Phooey.  What're you gonna do?

Two CD's.  Cardboard, fold-open "case."  No booklet.  A folded page
of liner notes.  CD sleeves featuring.......a sketch of Pete!  Hey now!!

CD #1

1. Can You See The Real Me - Crisper than the boots, & a lot of added
    echo on the vocals guaranteed to upset certain crowds.
2. Dirty Water - Hissy, bluesy number featuring Pete & his acoustic.  Short
    & forgetable.
3. Commonwealth Boys - Fun, fully-produced demo.  Neat, upbeat song.
4. Theme 015 - Grating synthesizer which distorts at high volume.  40 seconds
    long.  Filler.
5. Marty Robbins - Nice little acoustic piece.  More hiss.  Short.
6. I Like It The Way It Is - I don't like this song.  Full demo with those familiar
    Ted Astley string arrangements.  Did I mention I don't like this song?
7. Theme 016 - More synthesizer filler.
8. No Way Out (However Much I Booze) - Now we're talkin'!!  Great
    Pete version of the WBN song.  Makes me want to hear more demos from
    that album.  Different lyrics towards the end, too.
9. Collings - Beautiful acoustic piece, no singing.  Familiar Townshendian tones.
    Really nice.
10. Parvardigar (German Version) - I hate this song, too.  German lyrics don't
    help.  Pass.
11. Sea & Sand - Wonderful!  More QUAD demos, please!  Brilliant!
12. 971104 Arpeggio Piano - I like this short piece.  Sounds SCOOP-ish.
    Chords which are almost happy but somehow reserved.  Thumbs up.
13. Theme 017 - Longer synthesizer filler (how many themes does Pete have?!)
    I like this one as it's more varied & realized than the previous "themes."
14. I Am Afraid - Banjo-plucking, country-sounding, poorly recorded demo that
    doesn't really grab me.  It's *almost* enjoyable but.......
15. Maxims For Lunch - Nice song but the cheesy electronic drum track distracts.
    Nearly.
16. Wistful - Another acoustic instrumental track that sounds more Claptony
    than Townshendy.  I am not grabbed.  Pass.
17. Eminence Front - Slooooow version with much piano.  Stripped of any anger
    or urgency this version is boring & lethargic.  Some will like it - I don't.  Very
    disappointing.  I hope none of my friends ask me to play this one.
18. Lonely Words - Fully-produced demo of a Springsteen-influenced, lame-ass
    song.  I hate Bruce Springsteen.

CD #2

1. Prelude 970519 - 37 seconds of synthesizer to open up Disc 2.  Ok.
2. Iron Man Recitative - Overblown, Broadway-sounding slush which didn't last
    very long in the Play mode on my stereo.  Very lame.  I don't need to hear this.
3. Tough Boys - Hugely distorted vocals.  This is fun!  No drums but it doesn't
    matter.  It's "Rough Boys," BTW.  Loud guitar.  More, please.  Fantastic!
4. Did You Steal My Money? - Fully-produced demo that sounds better than The
    Who version.  I was ready to be disappointed by this one, but I wasn't.
5. Can You Really Dance? - Fully-produced demo with saxaphone & other horns.
    Sounds like a movie soundtrack song.  I picture credits rolling by.  Female back-
    ing vocals?  Ultimately lame, Sting-sounding nonsense.  Pass.
6. Variations On Dirty Jobs - Much piano & synthesizer.  No vocals but the QUAD
    feel is there.  I like this one even though it's a bit long.
7. All Lovers Are Deranged (Pete's Version) - Fully-produced demo of a medium-
    paced, 80's-sounding song that doesn't grab me.  Pass.
8. Elephants - Plodding (get it?) synthesizer stuff.  I like this kind of weirdness.
    No vocals.  Thumbs up!  This song is funny!  In a good way.
9. Wired To The Moon (Part 2) - Short, slow, piano & synthesizer piece with sparse
    vocals.  Melancholy & satisfying.  Reminds me of some of the ANOTHER
    SCOOP stuff.
10. How Can You Do It Alone? - Nice, fully-produced demo of a song I really
    don't care for.  It's alright, I suppose.  Whatever.
11. Poem Disturbed - Longish piano piece.  No vocals.  Background music.  Slow
    & moody.  I can't decide if I like it.
12. Squirm Squirm - I'm squirming right now listening to it.  Pete ryhmes "seven" &
    "heaven."  How fresh.  This song is about a worm.  Pete's voice sounds great &
    so does his acoustic playing but the trite lyrics bring it way, way down.  Pass.
13. Outlive The Dinosaur - Sparse-sounding demo of the PD song.  Ok, I guess,
    but I really don't like this song, either.  Sounds better than the PD version, though.
    Some nice acoustic work.
14. Teresa - Get up & dance, everybody!  Shake your thang!  Fun stuff!  "Athena,"
    BTW.  Definite highlight.  Plus the f-word!  Shake that thang!
15. Man & Machines - I like this one.  Weird time changes.  Odd sound effects.
    Neat lyrics.  Above average.  Not too long.
16. It's In Ya - The brilliant song that got left off of FD.  Fully-produced demo with
    snotty Pete vocals.  Another highlight if a bit hissy.  Great song.

Final Grade: B-

- SCHRADE in Akron