Re: "Say they do it--then how should they launch it?" pkeets

>It depends on the product.  If the band are gung-ho and crazy about it
>they should pull out all the stops.  TV specials, touring, Letterman,
>Regis, trading cards, Who-shaped snack foods, etc.

A controversial album would help, right?  Like Bjorn said, it's gotta have
that "parental advisory" sticker on it.  Plus, everybody expects some kind
of edge from The Who.  If Pete's not pissed off about something, it's not
much fun.  ;)

>If TED is only lukewarm on the product, something less of a marketing
>effort.  Perhaps they will even bury it completely.

Right into the round (trash) file it goes.  All of them have said that.

There's no rush, though.  It would have been great if they'd had some
material to release right after the CFNYC, but since they didn't, they've
got a couple of years to come up with something.  The public memory lasts
that long.  The Who?  Oh, yeah.  I saw them do the CFNYC.  ;)

>I'm looking at it a bit like what U2 went through.  They released some
>stuff that they did not like all that much and took a beating from many
>critics (Pop).  This product led to a bomb of a tour.  They took a few
>years off and got their shit together to record something they thought
>would be true to their traditions.  When they got comfortable with the new
>material, they cut themselves loose on the world.  Result:  huge success.

For the right reasons, too.  Successful bands are valued for their unique
vision.  Trying to twist it into something else just to be creative doesn't
satisfy either the audience or the band.  And serious music fans need the
substance.  Big bucks productions can keep entertainment style artists
going, but real fans want more.

>TED must have product before they can even think about marketing it.
>Hopefully, they can come up with a product that they love.  I am afraid
>that without new product, their options for generating more interest and
>cash are limited.  However much they deny it, there ain't no way out.

Yeah, all this build up for nothing?

;)
keets