Re:mccartney

I don't know if this was arrogance.  More likely he was just out of touch
with his audience.  He said the right things, but failed to supply the
inspiration that everyone needed.  It was a time when the crowd wanted the
reassurance of familiar songs to bring them together, but McCartney's
performance was about Macca instead.

Remember that there were plenty of calls for The Who to play obscure
numbers, too.  It's easy to say in retrospect that McCartney was wrong, but
harder to predict the tenor of the event beforehand.  Many of the performers
likely expected a spirit more like the Heroes concert, but this was more
defiance than memorial.

As usual, The Who read the audience correctly.  They could have chosen less
in-your-face songs, but actually the interpretation would likely have been
the same regardless.  Face to face with the crowd, they were unlikely to
make the same mistake as Macca.

keets