Re: Pete Townshend interview in Portugese

> I found this Oct. 16th interview with Pete in the O Estado de Sao
> Paulo. If you want to read it in the original, here's the URL:
> http://www.estadao.com.br/divirtase/noticias/2001/out/16/32.htm
>
> I made a stab at translating it. It's far from perfect and I can't
> vouch for every word here, but I gave it my best shot. So here goes:

Hmmm.  An interview by e-mail?  So I guess they're translated to
Portuguez, and you've translated back.  I guess Oswaldo will check in
on  the fine points of the translation, but until then, it seems to be
very positively slanted.

>The bootlegs don't bother me and I think the only way for artists to
have total freedom of workmanship is on independent labels," affirms
the
 guitarist who is still looking for a way to release the music of The
Who on his label.

That last is interesting.  Is there a tug-of-war with MCA about it?  Or
what?

>Do you believe that music has the power to inspire people, change the
world?
>PT: I think that it's very powerful, but at the moment it's only
 entertainment. I don't find that rock is useful in war times.

Pete didn't answer the question here.  In 1969 he would likely have
said "yes," but by 1999 he was very cynical.  Is he talking about
potential again here?

Rock did change the world, didn't it?  And I seem to recall folks who
served in the Vietnam war saying that music got them through it.  Of
course, this interview may have been before Pete saw the response to
The Who's set at NYC.

>PT: I am working on a theatrical version of "White City" (documentary
made in the '80's on racism in England) and an important opera version
of "Iron Man"(musical launched in 1989). Also I am busy with a new book
that will be autobiographical.

Aha.  Here comes WHITE CITY!  And what's he doing with IRON MAN?  Maybe
he'll eventually get around to WAY.  :)

LB

=====
Don't meddle in the affairs of dragons, because you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
Find a job, post your resume.
http://careers.yahoo.com