Re: The Thunder Gods must be crazy

> Isn't that strange?  If I were in Zep or ANY band wanting to release a
> concert film, I would in NO WAY, SHAPE OR FORM, release footage of an "off

Jim:

I'd agree with you, but that doesn't seem to be what happened. By your
(fine) logic, Let It Be aka Get Back would have never been released.
They actually didn't release it for three years after it was recorded, but
the money had been invested so they eventually had to show some sort of
return. I understand it's the second of two nights, and the first was
worse...but there's no predicting a bad night, and the film crew was there
when they were there.

> for that film.  No one in their right mind would release an "off"

Money does have a tendency to make one do things they wouldn't normally.

> for the Honeycombers.  I mean please, listen to the opening lines of
"Dazed
> and Confused" from Zep I:  Plant's voice booms and rivals RD's power.

And he's even better live in that period. I repeat: in that period.

> Have you heard of hemidemisemiquavers, meaning 64th notes?

Alan:

No, but thanks for pointing it out...Hemigods!

> As for the debate as to whether Plant was a Daltrey look alike or not,
> notwithstanding the idea floated that Keith and John would join with
> Page to form a new supergroup, bearing in mind Daltrey wasn't involved
> in those discussions, I am utterly confident that I am right.

John:

It's more than just that. Page claiming he played lead on ICE when he did
not, and the fact that he took every opportunity to play on cover versions
of Who songs (like Circles by Fluer De Ley or however it's spelled), and
then add to this the attempted recruitment of Entwistle and Moon, and the
eventual Zep lineup of guitarist, bassist, drummer and blonde lead
singer...it all adds up. But I'll be the first to admit I've fit the facts
to my theory. This doesn't undermine that they are indeed FACTS.

> Next time I see Robert Plant - he lives near me and I bump into him in
> the shops from time to time - I'll ask him if he remembers what really
> happened.

I'm sure they wouldn't have said: "We wanted you because you look like
Daltrey." And even if he knew, he wouldn't say. Hell, he thinks he can still
sing!

> wrong. The Who by 1978 were still a well known and big name band, but
> they weren't one of the biggest bands in the world.

They might not have been in the UK, but they certainly were in the US. THE
biggest except for The Stones. Even Zep had diminished by `78, thanks to
Presence.

> just wanna say "hello". I'm new here.

Gen:

Hold on to something. Sometimes it's a rough ride.

> Perhaps.  But, I would argue that the majority of Who fans don't know all
of
> the bands output.

Kevin:

But I'm talking about SUNRISE!

> We are exceptions, NOT the rule.

Granted.

> are fans, and should be embraced as such into the family of Who fans.

I'll embrace just about any female Who fan.

> But!!!  I say but!!!  He was soooooo fucking psyched, and really had his
> finger on the pulse, that I'll let it slide.  I take it you won't be as
> forgiving.

Nope. You know how I feel about Quadrophenia.

> I think I'll write him and set him straight on the Quad part.  I'll thank
> him for his kind words, and then let him know that he can't be considered
> "fan" of The Who until he recognizes Quad for what it is...........a
> masterpiece.

Just give him my EMail address. I'll educate the lad.

> We've come a long way baby.

As long as I don't have to smoke a Virginia Slim.

> Gotta run, the bars are opening :-)

Jeff:

Oh, did you get out on parole?

> be just that. So You are probably right.Their inactivity between 1976 and
> 1978

Derick:

Ah, but they toured all three years...one tour with the Grateful Dead.
Hardly "inactivity." Nope, John's incorrect about this one.

> suggested the name of the band, yearslater the story was refuted by Jimmy
> Page and perhaps Robert Plant who claim that it wasnot quite excatly like
> that.

Yeah, well they would, wouldn't they? They're arrogant SOB's, no question
about that.