Quad on Broad & Gods Of Many Genres

> Like seeing a car crash on the highway, I stayed and watched the
> carnage.

Brian:

Ah, who didn't see this one coming? I told you (not specifically YOU but you
as all on this list), Quad is just NOT Broadway material.

> All three interminable acts of it. I think this might well have been
> the worst two-and-three-quarter hours I have ever spent in a theater.

He didn't see Yes on their 1974 tour. Or the movie Dungeons And Dragons.
Or...

> Don't have the band use electronic drums turned down low.

Keith Moon is spinning in his grave. I just know he is.

> How on earth did this get okayed by Townshend and Eel Pie, who is
> credited in the program?

Hmmm...this is the same guy who supervised the remix of the Tommy part of
LALD...suddenly I'm not as excited about an album of new material after
all...

> Sinatra, Elvis, Morrison, Jerry Lee and Muddy all did it before Roger.

Jeff:

Your timeline and parameters are a bit skewed; Morrison (I ASSUME you mean
Jim not Van, who is certainly no God but merely a great performer) came 3
years after The Who, Jerry Lee is no God but a wacky drunken redneck white
Little Richard, and the others are not Rock anything. Blues, Jazz...but not
Rock.

> Honorable mentions should also go to Iggy, Bowie, Janis, Jimi,

All after Rog.

> James  Brown, Aretha, Tina...

All R&B, not Rock.
I don't know what to say about Steve Tyler, except he's a poor man's Jagger.
And therefore a jester not a god?

> Led Zeppelin was Cream/Hendrix Experience + Daltrey.  That's all.

Zep was Page's Who walk-on fantasy.

> An then there's Son House and Robert Johnson!!

AEB:

Neither qualify in the least! Neither was a huge stage persona, which is a
given for a Rock God. Forget that neither were Rock either!

> Oh Well, I'm off to Stovall's Plantation in Mississippi to pick blues
licks
> and cotton with Son House, Willie Brown and Muddy.

I think you should. Get a little perspective. I love Muddy Waters but he's
no Rock anything, he's a BLUES GOD!
Now, if you want a Rock God to discuss...Eric Burdon. Or Ozzy, albeit a God
of the Underworld.

> Don't forget T-Bone Walker.

Jeff:

You do understand the difference between Blues and Rock, don't you?

> Well actually, yes.  :-)

Jon:

Me too; Quad is too good not to watch.

> Assuming this "Hey Joe" is the same cut that is on ML's 'Stages', it is
good
> for a listen or two.

Jeff:

That particular Hey Joe is from the Radio City Music Hall performance of
6/27/89, although they did it several times during that tour (I know they
did it in Raleigh, NC).

> IMHO it is some pretty shitty blues.  Antiseptic.

It wasn't really a Blues song; many people recorded it during the `60's, the
most standout versions being by The Byrds, The Seeds and Jimi Hendrix. The
former two are fast Rock versions, Hendrix's was slow and grinding. Bluesy
but not Blues. The Who played that version to honor Hendrix, as he started
on their Track label. Its inclusion on Stages was more for the fact that
it's unique and officially unreleased rather than being a stellar
performance. Like (also on Stages) Born On The Bayou (Dallas 9/3/89), which
is cool because it's The Who doing it but not exactly their finest moment.
And nowhere near as good as the Creedence version.

"God may have mercy on you, but we won't."
        Senator John McCain

               Cheers                 ML