Re: Who blues

From: "L. Bird" <pkeets@hotmail.com>
"I'd never have thought John would be such a blues man.  That bass is so
gorgeous it hurts.  Now I wonder why The Who, or the John Entwistle Band,
don't play more straight blues.  Maybe they should just forget the idea of
new material and do an album of blues covers instead.
:+"

I don't understand your emoticon, but I hope you're joking :0)  Straight
blues is typically too slow, too rhythmically boring and just too plain
plain for hard rockers like TED or JEB to try it with any success.

Assuming this "Hey Joe" is the same cut that is on ML's 'Stages', it is good
for a listen or two.  IMHO it is some pretty shitty blues.  Antiseptic.  No
dirt.  That Bolton guy (or whatever his name is) who plays guitar is just
plain boring.  Any decent blues reading needs at least a little dirt dirt.
Sure Roger can belt, but you just don't get any hurt in his voice.

As far as The JEB goes, they did some pretty respectable blues work at BB
Kings on Sunday night with Phoebe Snow and Jon Paris (a fun
singer/harpist/guitarist).  They left the best singing up to others and The
Ox sat out (if memory serves).  Godfrey and Luongo are journeymen who could
probably pick up just about any style with some skill.

Jeff