RE: Roger's voice

>I read an interesting article a while back (actually posted the link on
>igtc), a scholarly analysis of the bare-chested hard rock statment...So,
>the question is, can Roger still make a viable statement with his shirt
>buttoned?

Who was it that actually invented this rockgod statement?  Was it Roger
Daltrey, or Mick Jagger?  The article was about Led Zeppelin and Robert
Plant, but they were a later rockgod band, and as someone has just pointed
out (on one of the lists), they visibly patterned their stage performance
after The Who.

Pete and Roger both have mentioned that they were impressed by the "erotic"
quality of Mick Jagger's performance when The Who opened for The Stones, and
this may have contributed to the image that Roger later developed.
Supposedly Kit Lambert had something to do with it, too.  Any late sixties,
early seventies rock fans here who could help me out?  Whose stoke of genius
was it that developed the model for rock god-hood?  The Who, or The Stones?

Anyhow, I gather that the model stood through the eighties, but went out of
style in the nineties with the advent of Grunge.  We still got a little
taste of it from Roger on the Who2K tour.  It's maybe an expression of his
personality, after all, and maybe happened just because Roger got hot one
night back in 1968 and started to unbutton his shirt.  He seems to be aware
that it's out of style, though, because he's kept his shirt on for the two
big recorded appearances, RAH and CFNYC.

So what kind of statement is it that younger rock stars make these days?
Lenny Kravitz does a lot of videos without his shirt, but it looks like a
sales tactic rather than a statement.  I notice John Rzeznik (of the Goo Goo
Dolls) scooted his guitar across the stage at the CFNYC, maybe because he
was playing on the same bill as Pete Townshend, but still it didn't look
like a statement.  Is the problem with current rock music that it has no
statement to make?

keets