RE: Roger's voice

 > he, like Robert Plant, was a smooth, bare chested, Golden God
 > (as was I in the 1970's, if I do say so myself) of Rock 'n' Roll,
 > and in that time, they were strong interpreters of their bandmates
 > genuis songwritng and vision (Townshend and Page).
 >
 > Daltrey lost *it*, and made videos with Barbara Striesand for fuck's
sake.

This is an interesting comment, and similar to some about Pete and the
seventies guitar sound.  I suspect it indicates fixation on a particular
period of The Who's history--specifically the late sixties, early seventies
when Roger wore those open-chested leather costumes.

The Who has actually passed through a number of periods and styles, and have
adapted very well.  Some fans still prefer the early Mod period with the
punkish, in-your-face music and fashionable suits.  Then there was the
Carnaby Street thing with the lace and velvet, hippy casual, then the tight
tees and jeans of the seventies, followed by New Wave.  The music shifted
along with the clothes.

I read an interesting article a while back (actually posted the link on
igtc), a scholarly analysis of the bare-chested hard rock statment.  This is
where that phallic symbol in the Who's logo was most visible, and what Lew
is saying is that he's lost that symbol of young manhood, and so hates
Daltrey for not being that any more.

So, the question is, can Roger still make a viable statement with his shirt
buttoned?

keets